CLEVELAND (December 6, 2013) – The Cleveland Museum of Art presents the 20th annual Winter Lights Lantern Festival. The original lantern installations will be on display around the museum and outside in the Environment of Lights on Wade Oval today through late December 2013. The displays are created by Northeast Ohio artists under the direction of CMA community arts artistic director Robin VanLear. This year’s installations include Han Dynasty Reflections, Arboretum Spiritae (Spirit Trees) and Fantasien von Heimat (Fantasies of Home) on Wade Oval.
This Sunday, December 8, the museum’s monthly Second Sundays family day will feature holiday and light inspired activities, tours and games as well as a lantern-making workshop in which visitors can make simple lanterns to be carried in a procession through Wade Oval. The procession at 5:30 p.m. is led by lantern artists, dancers and giant puppets and is followed by cookies and cocoa in the atrium. Second Sundays: Circle of Lights Lantern Festival programming is held in conjunction with University Circle Inc.’s annual Holiday CircleFest.
Wintern Lights Lantern Festival Displays
- December 6 through late December, 2013.
Second Sundays: Circle of Lights Lantern Festival/Holiday CircleFest
- Sunday, December 8, 2013, 11 a.m.–6:30 p.m.
- Lantern Procession at 5:30 p.m.
The Cleveland Museum of Art, 11150 East Boulevard, Cleveland
Second Sundays: Circle fo Lights Lantern Festival Schedule of Events
- Reading and Book Signing: Pennie the Christmas Pickle, 10:45 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Local author Tony Marini
- Art Making: Calendars, 11:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. Create your own personalized calendar for 2014.
- Art Stories: Winter, 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- Scavenger Hunts: Light, 11:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. Pick one up at the information desk.
- Sources of Light Art Cart, 1:00–3:00 p.m.
- Wanna Be in Pictures? 1:00–3:00 p.m. Picture yourself in CMA works of art using distance learning technology.
- Highlights Tours, 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 p.m.
- Music and Dance in the Ames Family Atrium, 1:30–4:30 p.m.
—1:30 p.m. Global Connections (original music on world instruments)
—2:30 p.m. Junior Panic (steel pan)
—3:00 p.m. Frog Lily (modern dance)
—3:30 p.m. Julia de Burgos Dance Company (modern and traditional Hispanic dance)
—4:00 p.m. The Progeny (New Orleans jazz by students from Shaw High School)
- Lantern-making Workshop, 2:00–4:30 p.m. Make a simple lantern to carry in the procession.
- Sicily: Art and Invention Between Greece and Rome exhibition tour, 2:30 p.m. Exhibition ticket required.
- Lantern Procession, 5:30 p.m. Led by community lantern artists, giant puppets, and dancers from Environment of Lights.
- Cookies and Cocoa in the Atrium, 6:00–6:30 p.m.