Italy, Deruta, early 16th century
Tin-glazed earthenware with yellow and blue lustre (maiolica), Diameter: 8.6 x 41.3 cm (3 3/8 x 16 1/4 in.). Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1923.1096
The technique of using luster to decorate pottery was brought to Italy shortly before 1500 either from Spain or the Islamic world. The small, north Italian town of Deruta was one of the first centers of production. Its potters became very prolific, exporting wares to many other parts of Italy. Its decorators were also relatively conservative, and styles changed slowly.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.