probably 200-100 BC
Overall: 96.4 x 32.3 x 28.6 cm (37 15/16 x 12 11/16 x 11 1/4 in.)
Gift of the Hanna Fund 1948.141
On the back Amenpayom is depicted again worshiping the gods of Mendes, Harpocrates, Banebjedet, and Hatmehit.
This magnificent life-sized torso is inscribed for Amenpayom, the great army general of the district of Mendes in the Nile Delta. By the end of the Ptolemaic dynasty (305-30 BC) when this statue was made, the Egyptians could draw on 3,000 years of expertise carving hard stone. Enough remains to show that Amenpayom was represented in the traditional pose for men: left leg striding forward, arms at his sides, and supported by a back pillar. The subtle, masterful treatment of the undulating musculature and meticulous, flawless polish are hallmarks of this period, when Egyptian artists reveled in the natural beauty of the human form.
The information about this object, including provenance information, is based on historic information and may not be currently accurate or complete. Research on objects is an ongoing process, but the information about this object may not reflect the most current information available to CMA. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
Is something not working on this page? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request a digital file from Image Services that is not available through CC0, a detail image, or any image with a color bar.