About School Tours
We have reached maximum capacity for school group visits and studios before 11:30am in April and May 2017. Lunchroom spaces are also full through the end of the school year. If you are registering for a school visit, please request time slots after 11:30am and please note that we cannot provide lunch space at this time.
Please note that due to the high volume of school visits during the month of May the only available tour topic will be the general introductory tour "Look and Discover."
- The museum offers free, docent-guided class visits to the permanent collection and selected special exhibitions.
- Free tours are conducted by volunteer docents trained by the Department of Education and Interpretation. The menu of available tour topics can be found here: Kindergarten through Grade 3; Grade 4 through Grade 12. Standards listed under each topic represent possible curriculum connections.
- We strive to provide strong connections to your classroom curriculum. Please note that you may not be able visit the works of art you’ve used in your classroom on your museum visit; docents will try to incorporate requested works or similar ones on the guided tour. You are welcome to book a self-guided tour following your docent-led tour to visit these works on your own.
- Customized tours led by staff members can be booked for an additional fee pending scheduling availability.
- Kindergarten tours are 45 minutes long, while first grade through adult tours are 60 minutes long.
- An adult chaperone for every 10 students must accompany each group.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and must be booked online. This also applies to self-guided tours.
- Tours are scheduled Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Self-guided groups are welcome to schedule tours for the permanent collection galleries beginning at 11:00 a.m. and Gallery One at 12:00 p.m.
- Self-guided groups are permitted to complete scavenger hunts or worksheets with advance notice. Only pencils, not pens, may be used in the galleries.
- Backpacks and radios are not permitted in the museum galleries.
- Homeschool groups: Please select from the following grade level groupings and indicate your selection on your registration form (elementary K-3, middle grades 4-8, or high school 9-12.) Our school tour formats can accommodate a maximum range of three to four grade levels at one time.
- Homeschool groups: The maximum number of individuals in one group is 20, including adults and children. Larger groups should book multiple tour slots.
- Please note that lunch spaces are at the museum are extremely limited. You must indicate a need for lunch space when completing your online registration form. These few areas are only available on a first come, first served basis.
- Assigned lunch timeslots are 30 minutes and available only between the hours of 11:00 am and 12:30 pm. Due to the popularity and multiple schools using our lunch commons please allow 25 minutes maximum to enjoy your lunch and depart on-time.
- Please allow at least four weeks advance notice when scheduling your preferred date through the online registration form. For more information, call Ebony Taylor 216 707-2665.