Godey's Lady's Book, 1830-1898

Founded in 1830 by Louis A. Godey, Godey's Lady's Book, was one of the most popular and long-lived women's magazines. Each issue included fiction, non-fiction, poetry, advice on interior decorating, fashion and domestic arts, instructions for needlework and handicrafts, and music. The magazine evolved into an important literary magazine and published articles, book reviews, etc. by many notable nineteenth-century writers including Edgar Allan Poe.

The Fine Arts Garden

"I know of no other example of landscape art as beautiful as this where such a large part of the population pass daily and enjoy it."1 Frederick Law Olmsted Jr., of the Olmsted Brothers landscape architecture firm, is of course referring to the Fine Arts Garden. The garden fills the approach to the Cleveland Museum of Art from Euclid Avenue, and is bordered on the east and west by East Boulevard and Martin Luther King Boulevard, respectively. The Fine Arts Garden was formally presented to the city of Cleveland by the Garden Club at a dedication ceremony on July 23, 1928.

Wish you were here...

The advent of photolithography popularized the buying, selling, and sending of postcards in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. David Prochaska writes that they were sold at kiosks, from public parks and exhibitions to restaurants and even on passenger trains. He notes that there were cases of individuals sending up to 50 postcards a day!1 Postcard photographers and publishers intended to "cover the world" with image collections from the mundane to the exotic, constituting a voyage of discovery of places and peoples.

Thomas Bewick

Thomas Bewick was born at Cherryburn House, Eltringham, Northumberland in August of 1753, the eldest of eight children. Early on he demonstrated a talent for art by drawing on the hearthstones of his family home and filling the margins of his school books with pencil sketches of the surrounding flora and fauna. At the age of 14 he was apprenticed to Newcastle engraver Ralph Beilby. Most of the work of the shop was in metal engraving, but occasionally there was work in woodcuts, especially for children's books.

K is for Kate...Kate Greenaway

Kate Greenaway, English artist and book illustrator, was born in London on March 17, 1846. She was the daughter of John Greenaway, a well-known draughtsman and engraver on wood and Elizabeth Catherine Jones, a seamstress and children's clothing designer. Her early education included life drawing and watercolor painting classes at Heatherleys in Chelsea and at the Slade School of Fine Art. She began to exhibit her drawings and watercolors in 1868 at London's Dudley Gallery, and her first published illustrations appeared in such magazines as Little Folks.

Sèvres Porcelain

The Ingalls Library Rare Book Collection includes a small, but exquisitely printed, group of books on Sèvres porcelain. Founded in 1740 as the Vincennes Porcelain Factory, the company moved to Sèvres, France, in 1756 and produced both soft-paste and hard-paste porcelain. As the official porcelain manufacturer to the crown, the company designed objects for use by the royal family and other aristocrats.

Contemporary Journals: More than Meets the Eye

Over the last twenty years, new technologies in fine arts publishing expanded creative options and changed the way journals could be issued. Whereas traditional journals consist of text and/or reproductions, contemporary journals may also have a unique physical shape, include added materials, or have significant web content and interaction. Both individual artists and publishers have taken advantage of the new possibilities and cleverly used creativity and technology with stimulating results.

Cleveland Museum of Art: Founders

Four Clevelanders are considered the founders of the Cleveland Museum of Art: John Huntington, Horace Kelley, Hinman Hurlbut and Jeptha Wade II. Over the course of nine years Huntington, Kelley and Hurlbut each separately left bequests for the establishment of an art gallery. Fortunately all three estates had a common trustee, Henry Clay Ranney, who was able to reconcile the three bequests to create a single art museum which was eventually incorporated as The Cleveland Museum of Art on June 25, 1913. Wade donated the land on which the museum was built.

 

Pages

Subscribe to Cleveland Museum of Art RSS