Part 2 of a four-program series. See details under Egyptomania 1: Introduction to Daily Life.
Learn how to decipher some of the sacred writing of Egypt in this fascinating look at an over 4,000-year-old writing system. Teaching extensions to the lesson provide instruction for writing like a scribe and creating a personalized cartouche.
Teacher Information Packet will be mailed.
- Open discussion with students' previous knowledge on Egyptian culture.
- Discuss importance of written communication.
- Compare and contrast hieroglyphics to English writing.
- Introduce students to hieroglyphics through related artifacts such as mummy cases, sculpture, and architectural fragments.
- Hieroglyphic writing activity.
- To introduce students to the symbolic nature of written languages.
- To compare similarities and differences between hieroglyphs and the English alphabet.
- To acquaint students with the role of the scribe and his importance in ancient Egypt.
- To investigate the materials, techniques and equipment used to produce hieroglyphic inscriptions.