All told there are twenty-five castings of the enlarged version of Rodin’s The Thinker. Of these, less than ten were cast and patinated during his lifetime.
Two of these early examples can currently be found in Paris, one in the Hotel Biron, which is currently the Musée Rodin, and one that is directly over the Rodin gravesite.
One of the last Rodin-supervised casts can be found in Cleveland, Ohio, where it sits directly in front of the Cleveland Museum of Art. This cast was acquired in 1917, just after the Museum opened to the public.
The twenty remaining castings of The Thinker were done posthumously. At least seven or eight of these were from the original series of enlargements that Rodin had begun before his death. The remainder were part of a recast edition sanctioned by Auguste Rodin and undertaken by the Musee Rodin in 1960. Rather curiously, there seems to be at least one unauthorized casting of this figure that is currently housed in Germany at the Kunsthalle Richard Kaselowsky-Haus, Bielifield.
WHERE TO FIND THE THINKER IN NORTH AMERICA
- Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, Maryland
- Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, Ohio
- Columbia Savings and Loan, Denver, Colorado
- Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, Michigan
- Allen R. Hite Art Institute, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky
- Columbia University, New York, New York
- The Gerald B. Cantor Sculpture Center, New York, New York
- The Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena, California
- The Rodin Museum of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, California
- Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, Maryland
- William Rockhill Nelson Gallery of Art, Kansas City, Missouri
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas
WHERE TO FIND THE THINKER AROUND THE WORLD
- Plaza del Congresso, Buenos Aries, Argentina
- Kunsthalle Richard Kaselowsky-Haus, Bielifield, Germany
- National Gallery, Berlin, German
- Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, Denmark
- Kyoto National Museum, Kyoto, Japan
- Laeken, Belgium Cemetery
- Musée Rodin, Meudon, France
- State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, Russia
- Municipal Museum, Nagoya , Japan
- Musée Rodin, Paris France
- Prins Eugens Waldermarsudde, Stockholm, Sweden
- National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, Japan