For the protection of the works of art and our visitors, the following policies currently apply when you visit the Cleveland Museum of Art.
- Please check all bags 13 x 17 inches or larger, backpacks, briefcases, umbrellas, and other bulky items. All items are subject to inspection and the museum reserves the right to decide what should be checked. Nothing is permitted to be carried on one’s back.
- For safety and health reasons, visitors should wear appropriate attire, including shoes and shirts.
- Children 14 years of age and younger should be under adult supervision.
- Service animals accompanying disabled individuals are welcome.
- Smoking, including electronic smoking, is not permitted in the museum or on its grounds.
- Food and beverages cannot be brought into the museum. Food, beverages, and gum chewing are not permitted in the galleries, library, auditorium, and lecture halls.
- Wheelchairs are welcome. Strollers are welcome unless otherwise noted in certain special exhibitions. Wagons are not permitted.
- Please do not touch the artwork, frames, bases, or protective coverings.
- Maintain a safe distance from all paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts. Two feet is recommended. An alarm may sound as a reminder. Refrain from gesturing near the artwork.
- Refrain from running, yelling, or disruptive behavior.
- Courtesy to others should be exercised when using cell phones in gallery spaces.
- Use of pencils is permitted in the galleries. Pens, markers, paint, charcoal, or pastels are not permitted. Visitors wishing to sketch or copy works of art should first request permission at the Information Desk.
- For private, noncommercial purposes, visitors are permitted to take still photographs and video using point-and-shoot cameras, phones, and handheld video equipment only, provided there is no disruption to museum operations or guest accessibility. Flash photography, tripods, monopods, selfie-sticks, additional lighting, or professional video equipment are prohibited.
- Wedding parties looking to take quick snapshots are permitted only on the museum’s grounds or in the Ames Family Atrium. Flash, tripods, monopods, selfie-sticks, and additional lighting are not permitted. Groups must not obstruct visitor traffic. All museum policies regarding packages must be followed. Professional photography shoots may be scheduled in advance for a fee.
- Use of flashlights or laser pointers is not permitted.
The Cleveland Museum of Art appreciates your cooperation.