1600s or 1700s
Part of a set. See all set records
Gold set with precious and semiprecious stones
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Wade 1915.342
The father of Jeptha Homer Wade II (1857–1926), who owned these earrings, gave the land for the museum and Wade Oval.
These earrings were made to hang on large bronze sculptures of deities worshipped in Nepalese temples. Nepalese craftsmen excelled at the detailed encrustation of jewels to depict complex figural imagery. They shaped gold wires into a framework, then inserted polished stones into the spaces, held in place with an adhesive. Four-armed Vishnu is made of sapphires; his mount the man-eagle appears to be made of carnelian and spinel with wings of turquoise.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.