Overall: 59.2 x 33.2 x 10.1 cm (23 5/16 x 13 1/16 x 4 in.)
Weight: 1.54 kg (3.4 lbs.)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Severance 1916.1845
Nuremberg was a chief armor production center and gained international renown; products from here were exported throughout Europe.
The chanfron was the primary element that protected and decorated a horse's forehead and face. It consisted of a plate of steel contoured to the horse's head from its ears to its nostrils. Normally, two holes were cut at each side of the forehead for the ears, and earpieces were sometimes riveted around their edges. This example, however, was forged in one piece. It belongs to the transitional period between the Gothic and the fluted armors introduced by Emperor Maximilian. The hinge at the top is for the attachment of the crest plate.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.