Aug 12, 2009
Aug 12, 2009

Plaque from a Reliquary Shrine

Plaque from a Reliquary Shrine

c. 1180–1190

Gilded copper; champlevé and cloisonné enamel

Overall: 3.2 x 6.6 cm (1 1/4 x 2 5/8 in.)

Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1953.638

Description

These decorative enamel plaques (1953.274, 1953.638, 1957.502, and 1961.27) have been linked to some of Cologne's most important reliquary shrines, namely the shrine of the Three Kings at Cologne Cathedral and the shrines of Saints Maurinus and Albinus in the Benedictine abbey church of Saint Panteleon.

See also

Contact us

The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email collectionsdata@clevelandart.org.

To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.

All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.