Support: Blued-white modern laid paper
Sheet: 17.2 x 28.2 cm (6 3/4 x 11 1/8 in.)
Gift of the Womens Council of the Cleveland Museum of Art 1976.122
The Villa Borghese and its grounds was a familiar sight to French artists because it bordered the Villa Medici, which housed the French Academy beginning in 1803. Both of these grand residences were located on Il Pincio, one of the seven hills of Rome. The term villa in the title refers to a princely house set in large gardens. An orangerie was an early type of greenhouse used to shelter tender plants, especially oranges, during the winter months.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.