Optional French language presentation on request for an additional fee.
Learn about the works of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist painters such as Monet, Degas, van Gogh, and Cézanne, whose experiments with the effects of different conditions of light and paint application created a new way of seeing the world. The world these artists shared had much in common with our own era of rapid technological change and rise in standard of living. Students consider how such factors influenced Impressionism. They also compare works by the Impressionists with works by academic artists of the official Salon.
Special discount: Impressionism (English language presentation) from the Cleveland Museum of Art is $130 when you also register with the Cleveland Institute of Music for their program Introduction to Impressionism.
- Introduction on Impressionism and how it differed from Academic/Salon Art.
- Discussion of the influences on Impressionism (such as technological changes, study of color theory, etc.)
- In-depth comparison of Salon and Impressionist works from the Cleveland Museum of Art.
- Optional drawing activity with colored pencils.
- Time permitting, brief discussion of Post Impressionism and conclusion.
- Students will understand how Impressionist paintings represent the lifestyles and interests of people from the 19th century.
- Students will identify painters who were part of the Impressionist movement.
- Students will learn how techniques used by the Impressionists differed from traditional artistic methods.