The Cleveland Museum of Art

Collection Online as of May 18, 2024

Wine Ewer

Wine Ewer

1815
fabricated by
(British, 1771–1844)
(British, 1797–1834)
Overall: 30.5 x 15.6 cm (12 x 6 1/8 in.)

Did You Know?

The vine-leaf border along the top of this ewer was inspired by Roman silver from antiquity and popularized by Paul Storr in the 1800s.

Description

Silver was firmly established as a symbol of wealth, status, and power by the 1800s. Throughout history, styles largely followed the taste of the reigning monarch and thus reflected the political and social alliances that underpinned the aristocracy in Britain. The frieze of scrolls surrounding the handle, the acanthus leaf supporting the lip, and the dolphin heads framing the hinge on this ewer are characteristic of a bolder expression of classical taste favored during the Regency period (1811–20).
  • before 1943
    Mr. Thomas S. [1874-1942] and Mrs. Emilie Schmidt [1877-1953] Grasselli, Shaker Heights, OH, given to the Cleveland Museum of Art
    1943-
    The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH
  • No existing citations
  • British Gallery Reinstallation (June 2020). The Cleveland Museum of Art (organizer).
    All That Glitters: Great Silver Vessels in Cleveland's Collection. The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH (organizer) (November 23, 1994-January 8, 1995).
    No legacy exhibitions.
  • {{cite web|title=Wine Ewer|url=false|author=Paul Storr, Rundell, Bridge and Rundell|year=1815|access-date=18 May 2024|publisher=Cleveland Museum of Art}}

Source URL:

https://www.clevelandart.org/art/1943.181