The Cleveland Museum of Art

Collection Online as of July 16, 2024

Tabernacle Relief with Flanking Angels

Tabernacle Relief with Flanking Angels

c. 1480–1500

circle of Tullio Lombardo

(Italian, c. 1455–1532)
Overall: 81.3 x 108.6 cm (32 x 42 3/4 in.)

Description

This relief once framed a tabernacle—a receptacle above and behind an altar for the safekeeping of the Eucharist. The inscription over the doorway, LOCHVS SANCTVS (Holy Place), and below, LAVS DEO (Praise God), confirm the relief’s intended purpose. Originally, a door at center, perhaps in gilt bronze, would have secured the tabernacle. The pose, costumes, and modeling of the flanking angels all suggest the hand of a gifted artist probably working under the influence of Tullio Lombardo, a brilliant Venetian marble sculptor.
  • Heinrich Miller con Aicholz (Vienna, Austria), by forced sale to the City of Vienna, 1938
    1938-1945 City of Vienna, occupied after World War II by the French government
    1945 - French government
    Camillo Castiglioni, 1959-1957 (Vienna, Austria)
    Jacques Seligmann and Co., sold to the Cleveland Museum of Art, 1975.
  • “Annual Report for 1975.” The Bulletin of the Cleveland Museum of Art 63, no. 6 (June 1976): 155–198. Mentioned and reproduced: p. 163 www.jstor.org
    The Cleveland Museum of Art. Handbook of the Cleveland Museum of Art/1978. Cleveland, OH: The Cleveland Museum of Art, 1978. Reproduced: p. 103 archive.org
    Motture, Peta,Will Webb and Rebeka Cohen. The Culture of Bronze: Making and Meaning in Italian Renaissance Sculpture. London: V&A Publishing, 2019. Mentioned: p. 180
  • {{cite web|title=Tabernacle Relief with Flanking Angels|url=false|author=Tullio Lombardo|year=c. 1480–1500|access-date=16 July 2024|publisher=Cleveland Museum of Art}}

Source URL:

https://www.clevelandart.org/art/1975.105