The Cleveland Museum of Art

Collection Online as of July 20, 2024

Standing Cup

Standing Cup

1844
(French, est. 1756)
(French, 1803–1870)
(French, 1786-)
flowers painted by
(French)
Diameter: 35.6 cm (14 in.); Overall: 49 cm (19 5/16 in.)

Description

The official French porcelain factory at Sèvres has always been one of Europe's most important ceramic manufacturers, famous for its decorative pieces as well as more utilitarian wares. This vase in the Renaissance style, its design inspired by 16th-century French examples, is clearly in the tradition of elaborately conceived and decorated pieces intended for use by the French court or as presentation pieces by its monarchs. The latter was the fate of this Covered Cup, acquired in 1846 by Queen Marie-Amélie d'Orleans, the wife of Louis-Philippe, king during the July Monarchy (1830-48). Soon thereafter the vase was presented to a now unknown person. It is one of four pieces of this design made at the Sèvres factory, and the only one known today to have survived.
  • Sèvres Then and Now: Tradition and Innovation in Porcelain, 1750-2000. Hillwood Museum & Gardens, Washington, DC (organizer) (October 20, 2009-May 30, 2010).
    Hillwood Museum and Gardens, Washington, DC (10/20/2009 - 5/30/2010): 'Sèvres Then and Now: Tradition and Innovation in Porcelain, 1750-2000"
  • {{cite web|title=Standing Cup|url=false|author=Sèvres Porcelain Factory, Hyacinthe-Jean Regnier, Francois-Hubert Barbin, Jacques-Nicolas Sinsson|year=1844|access-date=20 July 2024|publisher=Cleveland Museum of Art}}

Source URL:

https://www.clevelandart.org/art/2001.121.a