For the protection of the works of art and our visitors, the following policies currently apply when you visit the Cleveland Museum of Art.
- Please check all bags, backpacks, and briefcases 13 x 17 x 6 inches or larger, umbrellas, and other bulky items. All items are subject to inspection and the museum reserves the right to decide what should be checked. Nothing is permitted to be carried on one’s back.
- The Cleveland Museum of Art prohibits any person carrying a concealed handgun or other deadly weapon onto these premises. No person shall knowingly possess, have under their control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance on these premises. O.R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)
- The Cleveland Museum of Art prohibits the solicitation, distribution, and posting of materials on CMA property.
- For safety and health reasons, visitors should wear appropriate attire, including shoes and shirts.
- Children 14 years of age and younger should be under adult supervision.
- Service animals accompanying disabled individuals are welcome.
- Smoking, including electronic smoking, is not permitted in the museum or on its grounds.
- Food and beverages cannot be brought into the museum. Food, beverages, and gum chewing are not permitted in the galleries, library, auditorium, and lecture halls.
- Wheelchairs are welcome. Strollers are welcome unless otherwise noted in certain special exhibitions. Wagons are not permitted.
- Please do not touch the artwork, frames, bases, or protective coverings.
- Maintain a safe distance from all paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts. Two feet is recommended. An alarm may sound as a reminder. Refrain from gesturing near the artwork.
- Refrain from running, yelling, or disruptive behavior.
- Courtesy to others should be exercised when using cell phones in gallery spaces.
- Use of pencils is permitted in the galleries. Pens, markers, paint, charcoal, or pastels are not permitted.
- Wedding parties looking to take quick snapshots are permitted only on the museum’s grounds or on the ground level of the Ames Family Atrium. Flash, tripods, monopods, selfie-sticks, and additional lighting are not permitted. Groups must not obstruct visitor traffic. All museum policies regarding packages must be followed.
- Use of flashlights or laser pointers is not permitted.
- Onsite visitors to the Cleveland Museum of Art (CMA) are permitted to capture still and moving images and make three-dimensional (3D) models—“capture media”—of artworks in the public domain in the publically displayed collections of the CMA. Only the use of point-and-shoot cameras, phones, and handheld equipment is permitted, provided there is no disruption to museum operations or guest accessibility. Permitted uses of the capture media for artworks in the public domain in the CMA collections include commercial and noncommercial purposes. The use of flash, tripods, monopods, selfie sticks, additional lighting, or large, multicomponent and non-handheld equipment is not permitted. The CMA waives any rights to media created by users capturing public-domain artworks in its collections.
- Certain works of art, as well as images of those works of art, may be protected by copyright, trademark, or related interests not owned by the CMA. Permissions must be secured from any third-party rights holders. The responsibility for ascertaining the copyright status of a work, whether any such rights exist, and for obtaining all other necessary permissions remains solely with the user, and the CMA will have no responsibility in connection with securing such necessary rights as they pertain to the visitor’s onsite media-capture activities.
- Other media-capture activities are restricted to private and noncommercial purposes. Send media inquiries and requests for professional media capture to Caroline Guscott at cguscott [at] clevelandart.org or 216-707-2261.
Limitation of Liability, Disclaimers, and Waivers
You acknowledge that CMA parties will rely on the foregoing terms and conditions potentially at substantial cost to them, and you hereby waive the right to assert any claim of any nature whatsoever against any party relating to the exercise of the rights and permissions granted hereunder. You agree to indemnify and hold the CMA, its trustees, officers, employees, and agents harmless from and against any claims, damages, costs, liabilities, and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or related to any content you capture, post, store, or otherwise transmit on any platform including, without limitation, any actual or threatened suit, demand, or claim made against the CMA, its trustees, officers, employees, and agents, arising out of or relating to the content, your conduct, your violation of these terms and conditions of use, or your violation of the rights of any third party.
The Cleveland Museum of Art appreciates your cooperation.