This precious book was highly prized by its owner, Charles III, King of Navarre, a French-born prince
whose coat of arms is painted on twenty folios. Charles visited Paris on numerous occasions and
likely acquired this volume there in 1404. Paris was the center of the European book trade at this
time and attracted illuminators from many parts of Europe. This manuscript represents one of the most
remarkable fusions of French and Italian taste in book illumination. Though conforming to Parisian
standards, most of the book’s major miniatures are the work of the Brussels Initials Master, an Italian
illuminator who previously worked in Bologna and Padua.