Probably by Pietro Paolo Baldini (Italian, 1619-1691)
terracotta, Overall: 41.90 x 41.90 x 15.30 cm (16 7/16 x 16 7/16 x 6 inches). Sundry Purchase Fund 1971.230
This work is probably a study for a large altarpiece that would have combined several materials, including marble, stucco, and paint. The use of angels to support a painted image in an altarpiece was almost certainly an invention of the Roman sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680), with whom Naldini is known to have worked.
CMA 1971: Art for Collectors, no cat.
CMA 1973: "Year in Review 1972," Bulletin, LX (March 1973), cat. no. 110, p. 109, repr. p. 77.
CMA 1984: Baroque Imagery, November 6, 1984-January 6, 1985, cat. 8, pp. 26-27, repr. p. 27.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.