c. 425–420 BC
Part of a set. See all set records
(Greek, Attic, active c. 440–410 BC)
Overall: 0.4 cm (3/16 in.)
Gift of the John Huntington Art and Polytechnic Trust 1915.533.d
Find spot: Orvieto
The Shuvalov Painter is named after the former owner of an amphora now in the Hermitage.
The relatively large eyes and head of this seated woman are characteristic of figures painted by the Shuvalov Painter, a painter known to have painted numerous small vases during the mid- to late fifth century BC. Along with many mythological subjects, the Shuvalov Painter often showed women in domestic settings, as here; the box or chest she holds could be a bridal gift.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.