Steel, inlaid with gold design of Habsburg eagle, pierced and chiseled
Support: Steel inlaid with gold, Hapsburg double eagle
Overall: 30.7 x 17.2 cm (12 1/16 x 6 3/4 in.)
Weight: 1.44 kg (3.17 lbs.)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Severance 1916.1546
Invented in the early 1500s, the wheel-lock was a new type of ignition system, the first to be self igniting.
Originally part of a deluxe weapon, the lock plate's entire surface is inlaid with an exquisite floral pattern in gold. Carefully chiseled, the fanciful hammer takes the form of an animal head crowned by a mass of foliage. The double eagle on the wheel plate suggests the weapon was made for a member of the Habsburg family.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.