Steel; octagonal wood haft covered with green velvet, brass studs
Overall: 201 cm (79 1/8 in.); Blade: 25.2 cm (9 15/16 in.)
Weight: 2.38 kg (5.25 lbs.)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Severance 1916.1786
The tapestries and weaponry adorning the walls of the Armor Court are not props. Located near the portrait of Agostino Barbarigo, this linstock hangs to the far right of a grouping of weapons. The blade ends in a double snake design and is attached to a solid wood handle.
This specialized staff weapon was used primarily to ignite the charge in pieces of artillery. The two lateral projections ending in eagles' heads are actually clips designed to hold the smoldering matches that allowed the firer to stand a little further from the cannon. The short, leaf-shaped blade allowed the linstock to be used as a weapon if necessary.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.