Overall: 30.5 x 15.2 cm (12 x 6 in.)
Educational Purchase Fund 1928.571
A stamp on the bottom of this ceramic sculpture indicates that it was produced at the Cowan Pottery studios. Although unsigned, it was most likely designed by Waylande Gregory, one of the studio’s premiere artists. In 1928 the studio’s founder, R. Guy Cowan, brought Gregory to Cleveland from Chicago, where he was developing a reputation as a talented young sculptor. Cowan Pottery, located in Lakewood (1912–17) and later Rocky River (1919–32), Ohio, began producing ceramic sculpture in the mid-1920s, launching its most fertile creative period. Cowan employed a large team of talented artists at the studio, including Walter Sinz, Thelma Frazier Winter, and Viktor Schreckengost. The studio brought national fame to Cleveland ceramists, but was forced to close due to economic circumstances in 1932.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.