Platemark: 27 x 33 cm (10 5/8 x 13 in.); Sheet: 32.8 x 45.5 cm (12 15/16 x 17 15/16 in.)
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis B. Williams Collection 1941.480
Catalogue raisonné: Robinson and Pirog 80
Founded in 1896, the New York Aquarium, where this scene takes place, was located in the Battery of lower Manhattan until it was relocated to Coney Island in 1941.
Mabel Dwight often visited the Battery neighborhood’s aquarium in Manhattan, which had opened in 1896 and was where, as she wrote in her unpublished autobiography, she observed the “expressions of aloof wonder” of the people staring through the glass to the “small world” beyond. She wrote humorously about the scene depicted in the print, describing how, during one visit, she observed a man and a grouper fish trying to outstare one another until “both swam away."
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.