Overall: 153.7 x 204.4 cm (60 1/2 x 80 1/2 in.)
Elisabeth Severance Prentiss Fund 1944.472
Here the presence of the Roman god of trade and abundance (Mercury) within the decorative scheme of this mantel alludes to prosperity and bounty.
The cornucopias and scroll-shaped brackets capped by the bust of the youthful Roman god, Mercury, were inspired by the work of Inigo Jones, one of the first British architects of great renown. The mantel was originally installed in Wanstead House, formerly located on the outskirts of London. Working opposite the architect, Colen Campbell (1676–1729), William Kent completed the interior decoration of the estate and likely produced this mantel as well. When Wanstead House was pulled down in 1822, the Duke of Hamilton purchased the chimney piece and three others from Wanstead House to display in his own home near Glasgow, Scotland.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.