Sep 17, 2008
Sep 17, 2008

Plaque, probably from a Reliquary Shrine

Plaque, probably from a Reliquary Shrine

c. 1180–1190

Gilded copper, champlevé and cloisonné enamel

Overall: 4.3 x 8.9 cm (1 11/16 x 3 1/2 in.)

Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1953.275

Description

This enamel plaque has been linked to the original decoration of the Shrine of the Three Kings in Cologne Cathedral, attributed to Nicholas of Verdun, one of the most important goldsmiths of the late 12th century.

See also

Contact us

The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email collectionsdata@clevelandart.org.

To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.

All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.