Limestone with traces of red polychromy
Overall: 34 x 18.1 cm (13 3/8 x 7 1/8 in.)
John L. Severance Fund 1955.68
This relief sculpture demonstrates the survival of a purely pagan subject in the context of a Christian building. Even after the conversion of native Egyptians to Christianity, mythological subjects were not unusual in their art. Pan was the Greek god of woods and fields, flocks and herds, known in art by his goat's legs and pointed ears. He invented the reed pipes with which he charmed the nature goddesses known as nymphs.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.