Before Riemenschneider finally settled in Würzburg, Germany, in 1484, he traveled to Strasbourg and Colmar, where he became acquainted with the works of the engraver Martin Schongauer.
This sculpture, along with that of Saint Stephen (1959.43), and two female saints preserved in Frankfurt (Historisches Museum), are believed to be the remaining fragments of a large altarpiece carved by Riemenschneider for the Dominican convent in Rothenburg in Franconia (demolished in 1813). Saints Stephen and Lawrence both wear the dalmatic to indicate their status as deacons in the early church. Each holds a symbol of his martyrdom; here, Saint Lawrence holds a grill to indicate his death by burning. Late Gothic Style Art in Germany through the early 1500s remained firmly anchored in the late Gothic style with its associated interests in realism. Riemenschneider was one of the most prolific and versatile sculptors of this style, a recognized master in both stone and wood. His flourishing workshop employed as many as 40 apprentices in sculpting, woodcarving, and painting. His sculptures are noted for the dreamy, melancholy, and introspective quality in their expressions, as well as their remarkable attention to detail.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.