(Austrian, c. 1688–1748)
Overall: 75 x 56.7 x 35.4 cm (29 1/2 x 22 5/16 x 13 15/16 in.); without base: 69.3 cm (27 5/16 in.)
Severance and Greta Millikin Collection 1964.296
This work is probably a model for a garden statue that came from Castle Neuwartenburg near Vocklabruck. Castle Neuwartenburg was built from plans by Domenico Martinelli, with frescoes by Altomonte and sculpted decorations of the doorway and gardens by Lorenzo Matiellli (who also designed the door figures of the Cloisters at Melk and St. Michael's church in Vienna). The completion and dedication of the castle took place in 1732 with a personal visit by Emperor Karl VI. The statue was never executed, and the model remained in the castle.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.