(Italian, c. 1295–1348/49)
Marble with traces of gilding
Base: 5 x 15.9 x 15.1 cm (1 15/16 x 6 1/4 x 5 15/16 in.); without base: 32.7 x 15 x 9.6 cm (12 7/8 x 5 7/8 x 3 3/4 in.)
Leonard C. Hanna, Jr. Fund 1972.51
One of the most important and beautiful sculptures that still exist by this artist, this work is believed to be the only sculpture by Andrea Pisano in the U. S. The attribution to Pisano is based upon a comparison with his bronze reliefs for the Baptistry doors in Florence, fully documented examples of his work. A large body of other statues and reliefs that were unquestionably produced in Andrea's workshop survive. While his style is based upon sculpture typical to Pisa, with its bulk and sense of drama, Pisano was much influenced by the art of the Florentine painter Giotto (1267-1337) and by French Gothic metal-work. Pisano became Master of Works at Orvieto Cathedral in 1347.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.