Part of a set. See all set records
Overall: 41.9 x 30.4 x 32.4 cm (16 1/2 x 11 15/16 x 12 3/4 in.)
Weight: 36.287 kg (80 lbs.)
Leonard C. Hanna, Jr. Fund 1978.56
These monumental stone heads are among the substantial known remains of the sculptural program of Thérouanne’s cathedral, which was razed to the ground by Emperor Charles V of Spain in June of 1553. These heads were found in a wall of rue Ste. Croix in the town of Saint Omer (a short distance to the north) in January 1923. This group of sculptures from the gable of the south portal of Thérouanne, which includes a stylistically related Christ as Judge, is recorded to have been moved to the Cathedral of Saint Omer in 1554. With their deeply carved wavy hair, curly beards, wrinkled foreheads, and ponderous facial features, these imposing heads--even in their now fragmentary and weathered state--attest to the powerful monumentality of the stone sculpture covering French church facades of the Gothic period.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.