Sheet: 59.4 x 43.8 cm (23 3/8 x 17 1/4 in.); Image: 59.4 x 27.7 cm (23 3/8 x 10 7/8 in.)
Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1989.16
© Estate of László Moholy-Nagy / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Catalogue raisonné: Passuth 124
In 1920 the Hungarian artist László Moholy-Nagy moved to Berlin where he met members of the Russian and German avant-garde who had given up the traditional sculptural techniques of modeling, carving, and bronze casting to experiment with three-dimensional abstract constructions. Moholy-Nagy reduced the components of his compositions to essential geometric shapes and also used transparent elements. Moholy-Nagy's "glass architecture," with its strict order of intersecting elements and purity of forms, achieves harmony and equilibrium. Exploiting the rich blacks and fine gradations of tone possible with lithography, he produced the same effect in two-dimensions.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.