Ink, tempera and gold on vellum
Each leaf: 12.6 x 8.5 cm (4 15/16 x 3 3/8 in.)
The Jeanne Miles Blackburn Collection 1999.130
The Master of Guillebert de Mets is named after the scribe who records his name in an illuminated copy of the Decameron, made for Duke Philip the Good of Burgundy, and for which he contributed many of its miniatures. He was active from about 1410 to 1445. So far there is no proof that allows us to follow his career or to know precisely where he worked. Calendars in other manuscripts with which he is associated suggest his shop may have been in Tournai, Liège, Bruges, and more credibly, Ghent. His commissions may have been linked to the itinerant Burgundian court, though no original provenance survives for any of his manuscripts. The Master of Guillebert de Mets painted in an easily recognizable style. His figures have prominent heads with well-delineated eyes and small mouths, slender torsos with thin, spindly legs, and long, finely worked fingers. Many of his miniatures, such as The Crucifixion and The Last Judgment here, show that he often favored mosaic backgrounds of delicately worked checkered patterns.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.