Ink, tempera, and gold on vellum
Overall: 14.6 x 12.1 cm (5 3/4 x 4 3/4 in.)
The Jeanne Miles Blackburn Collection 2001.74
The Johannes Grusch Workshop is named for the priest responsible for copying one of its bibles in 1267. The shop first appeared on the scene during the late 1230s, and a group of 39 manuscripts has been identified. The workshop's oldest dated work is a missal made for Rouen Cathedral between 1235 and 1245. The style expressed by the Grusch artist consists of flat little figures with inked draperies of a fairly irregular sort. The bodies have white heads with small features, like the short-bearded chins of the men and pursed mouths. A large number of painters were apparently associated with this workshop, which changed its style considerably over its thirty-year period of activity. Its painting can be divided into early, middle, and late styles.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.