William (I) Bateman
Second son of Jonathan and Ann Bateman and grandson of Hester. Born 17 December 1774. Apprenticed 7 January 1789 to his father and turned over on the latter's death to his mother 6 July 1791. Free by service, 6 February1799. First mark entered in partnership with Peter and Ann, January 1800. Address: Bunhill Row. Second mark with Peter, 8 November 1805. Third mark alone (two sizes), 15 February 1815. Address 108 Bunhill Row. Married Ann Wilson, 1800, at St. Matthew's, Friday Street, by whom he had three sons, William (q.v.), Henry and Josiah. William was apprenticed to him 1815, Henry 1816 (the latter turned over 1817 to Thomas Hacker timber merchant), and Josiah 1817. Livery, 1816. Court, 1828. Warden 1833-5. Prime Warden, 1836. Warden 1847-9. Sold the family business to Ben Car. 1840, having twenty years earlier entered the gas business. A Proprietor of the Chartered Gas, Light and Coke Company 1821, Director 1823, Deputy Governor 1840 and Governor 1846. Commissioner of Sewers for the Holborn and Finsbury Division. Died at Stoke, Newington, January 1850. Subject of a lengthy and eulogistic obituary in "The Journal Of Gas And Lighting", 2 February 1850
Peter Bateman, second son of Hester Bateman, bon 1740. Apprenticed to Richard Clarke, husband of his sister Letitia. Married first, Elizabeth Beaver (widow) 1763, and second Sarah - 1776. Lived at 86 Bunhill Row. First mark entered in partnership with Jonathan, 7 December 1790, and six further marks on 9 December. On Jonathan's death entered mark with Ann and William, January 1800.
Fourth mark with William, 8 November 1805. Probably retired in 1815 on entry of William Bateman's single mark. He died 19 November 1825, leaving in his will £50 each to the Evangelical Institution at Newport Pagnall and the Baptist Academy, Stepney. In 1805 he gave a chandelier to the Meeting House at Newport Pagnall, whose minister William Bull, intimate of the poet Cowper, was a friend of the goldsmith and whose son, the Rev. T. B. Bull married Letitia, daughter of Jonathan and Ann Bateman.
Ann Bateman, born Dowling 1748. Married Jonathan Bateman 1769 at St. Luke’s, Old Street. On her husband’s death in 1791 joined her brother-in-law Peter in partnership, their mark entered 2 May 1791. Address: Bunhill Row. Her son William was added to the partnership in January 1800. She retired in 1805 and died before 1813.