Mammoth untrimmed carbon print
Image: 43.8 x 37.5 cm (17 1/4 x 14 3/4 in.); Paper: 46.7 x 40.1 cm (18 3/8 x 15 13/16 in.)
Gift of Michael Mattis and Judith Hochberg 2021.63
The loggia above the door, now enclosed, was once used for magistrates to publicly pronounce guilty verdicts.
This German Renaissance structure was built in 1575 to be the town hall of Colmar but ended up becoming a guard house. Adolph Braun lived in another town in the same province, Alsace, and produced an extensive series of views of monuments and landscapes of the region. He marketed the images not just locally but throughout Europe and North America.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.