(French, active Italy, 1507 or 1515-about 1565)
Gift of The Print Club of Cleveland 1922.143
When Michelangelo redesigned the Campidoglio, a civic piazza on top of Capitoline Hill in Rome, he repositioned the ancient Equestrian Statue of Marcus Aurelius in the center of the piazza on a newly designed plinth with antique-style lettering. Just after the piazza was completed, Nicolas Beatrizet made this engraving of the statue and plinth as part of a series of prints of Roman monuments, which were often purchased by travelers to Rome. Michelangelo was uncredited in such images, but his impact on civic design gradually became part of the collective visual memory of Rome.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.