c. 600–580 BC
(Etruscan, active at Vulci, c. 600–580 BC)
Overall: 63.2 cm (24 7/8 in.)
Gift of J. H. Wade 1924.872
The same potter and painter (whether one person or two) also made vases now in Saint Louis and Paris.
Although seemingly simple in design, this amphora populated with animals (some mythological) and vegetal ornaments speaks to complex cultural intermingling in the ancient world. Known as “Etrusco-Corinthian,” the vase was made in Vulci, an Etruscan site with local workshops influenced by the Greek pottery imported there. These imports, especially from the ancient city of Corinth, helped to bring certain motifs and creatures borrowed from the Near East—such as the griffins here—to the Italian peninsula. Among several lively Etruscan elements on this vase are flowering rosettes, including one about to be eaten by a stag foraging in the upper band.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.