Support: Wove paper
Image: 33.4 x 51 cm (13 1/8 x 20 1/16 in.); Sheet: 43 x 60.3 cm (16 15/16 x 23 3/4 in.)
Bequest of John Bonebrake 2012.184
Catalogue raisonné: Abbey 272:94
The mosque and madrasa, school, of Sultan Hassan was built between 1356 and 1363 during the Mamluk period (1250–1517) in Egypt. The prestige of the project attracted craftspeople from across the Islamic world, which likely contributed to its innovative design. It is possible that stone from the Great Pyramid of Giza was used in its construction. This print features the central courtyard (sahn) with ablutions fountain (for washing one’s hands, feet, and face before prayer) and two of four monumental iwans, three-walled, vaulted rectangular halls. The interior walls and floor are covered in lavish stone and marble mosaics.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.